Race Rules and Structure Design
- The outhouse can only be human powered with no electric, solar or gas powered assistance. The outhouse must have four walls, floor, roof, doorway and a seat with at least one hole. It may have a door but the door must remain securely open during the race.
- The outhouse must measure a minimum of nine (9’) square feet at the base and a maximum overall width not to exceed six (6’) feet, including the grasping and/or pushing devices. The unit shall have a minimum height of five (5’) feet from the floor to the highest point of the roof.
- The outhouse may have any number and diameter of rubber faced wheels with a minimum tire face of one and a quarter (1 ¼”) inches on each wheel. Absolutely no skids and/or skies will be allowed.
- Any device for pushing or pulling the outhouse may be used except ropes. All pushing/pulling devices must be solidly secured to the unit.
- The outhouse may be built using any material except glass and must be structurally sound and must finish the race intact.
- Each entry must have an Outhouse Name that is displayed on each side of the unit. Any sponsor names may be displayed anywhere on the outside of the unit.
- Any variance in the rules must be approved by the inspection committee prior to the race.
- There will be three age division races. Each race team will compete in an individually timed event in their respective division.
Division I: Age 12-25. Division II: Age 26-45. Division III: Age 46 and over.
Age divisions will be determined by the average team age. Simply add all team members’ ages together and divide by the number of team members. Proof of age may be required.
TEAM CHECK IN/REGISTRATION: 10 AM THE DAY OF THE EVENT. PRE-REGISTRATION APPRECIATED.
- Teams must consist of four (4) or five (5) people. One person must ride inside the outhouse.
- Helmets and adequate safety equipment are at the discretion of the participants.
- Passengers in the outhouse must be a minimum twelve (12) years of age. There is no weight limit.
- Handles or seat belts are required for the outhouse riders.
- The team members should dress to reflect the theme of their entry.
- T-shirts will be awarded each registered participant at the time of check-in.
There will be a mandatory pit stop at mid race for a fire drill. Each member must run around the outhouse three times and the rider must switch places with one of the pushers. Each team member will be required to place a color coded roll of toilet paper on a color coded plunger in the same order of color scheme provided at race time. The race will be timed from start to finish with the objective being to record the lowest elapsed time to win and the time will continue until all team members have cross the finish line. Each team will make two trips around the designated race track. There will be a first and second place winner in each division and an award for PEOPLES CHOICE.
OUTHOUSE RACE DISCLAIMER
The Outhouse Race team members agree to assume the risk of participation in the Outhouse Races; and acknowledge the danger and possibility of injury, sickness or adverse medical effects as a result of such participation; and release and hold harmless the City of Tea, South Dakota, the El Riad Shrine and all of the Officers, Board Members, Employees and Volunteers of the Tea Pee Outhouse Race event from and for injury, illness or death; or for any person for whom they are signing for as guardian. (All participants under the age of eighteen (18) must have a parent or guardian signature.)